September 17, 2007

Hugh Carey: Sunset couple

Copyright Hugh Carey 2007

Camera: Canon EOS 20D
F-stop: 22
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
(with flash)

As I was riding my bike along the river with my eyes peeled out for a feature photo, I noticed there was a couple sitting on the riverfront rail right across the river. Bingo. Found a feature. I rode my bike almost as hard as I could to get to the nearest bridge and prayed that the couple would still be there when I arrived. I breathed a sigh of relief as I got to the couple relaxing and enjoying the view of the Clark Fork and Mt. Sentinel bathed in the goldish color of sunset. I politely asked the couple if I could take pictures of them and they happily allowed me. The sun was just minutes away from sinking behind the mountains. I decided to compose the dramatic photo of the sunset with the couple in foreground. I hooked up the flash to my Canon 20D so I could expose for the sunset and use the flash to keep the couple exposed in the foreground. It was hard to get the right angle because I was reaching out off the rail as far as I could before almost falling 10 feet onto the large rocks. That would make an embarrassing phone call for the couple to get ambulance for some guy who wanted to take pictures of them. But nope, never fell and got the shot. Whew.

– Hugh Carey

No comments: