September 19, 2007

Krista Miller: Attempting the summit

Copyright Krista Miller 2007

I just did a photo story for my “Outside Montana” project in my multimedia class on this guy Don who is 52 and has been skiing every month for 26 consecutive months. It was one of the most amazing and fulfilling experiences I have had in a long time. Don picked out a trip to Stanton glacier, just off the summit of Great Northern Mountain located between Hungry Horse Reservoir and the southern boundary of Glacier National Park. Our hike was a steep elevation gain of 5,000 feet in 5-6 miles. We encountered mountain goats and did a little scrambling to summit the peak, which is considered the tallest in the Great Bear Wilderness area, a part of the Bob Marshall protected areas. Don skied about three runs on the glacier, which is pretty much solid ice and was a little soft on top due to the melting. We also spotted smoke coming out of the wilderness area while on the summit. The views are amazing and I am honored to have seen and touched something many people will never see. I almost forgot – about 10 turns were had by yours truly.

– Krista Miller

No comments: